Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Baby Brinkmanship

The term brinkmanship has come up many times throughout my studies, never did it occur to me that it could be used by against me so early in my parenthood. According to wikipedia, brinkmanship is the practice of pushing dangerous events to the verge of disaster in order to achieve the most advantageous outcome. One of the examples they cite where it is commonly used in is during labor relations... now is that a pun or a double entendre?

While Shelli and I continue to wait in what I have begun to call "Day 2 of labor relations", I have been trying to figure out what is needed in order to convince baby that now is a good time. What in the world could she be holding out for? Since this is her first debate with mom and dad, I am sure she just wants to make a good show of it. I am not sure what else we can give, though I think everyday she waits I seem to love her a little bit more. Maybe that is her plan?

Waiting for Lulu

We have been trying to keep ourselves busy while we wait. Shelli has been great at taking doctors orders and trying to do as much walking as possible. We sort of figured that the advice they give women when they don't want to go into labor is bed rest, so we have been trying to do the opposite. Lots of last minute cleaning and projects while we try to stay active and keep our minds on other topics.

It was great having so many family and friends in town last weekend to help us get through the last anxiety-filled days. Grant and Gabby had their baptism, and god parents Jared and Marni, Mac and Crystal were in town. I can't wait for the future. I am looking forward to the day when all of our kids get to meet and hang out together. Growing up with your cousins and other extended family so close was a blessing to me and I hope Lulu will be as fortunate. Having lifelong best friends from birth, it doesn't get much better than that.

I will end this with the hopes this is the last blog post before Lulu comes. Stay tuned for pictures and more information from our time at the hospital. I will now leave you with a quote from a baptismal speech in Kurt Vonnegut's God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater:

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."

No comments:

Post a Comment