Friday, August 12, 2011

#2 Family

I can’t wait to spend time with my little Lulu. I know there will be a lot of challenges, some I am sure I can’t even fathom. There is one though that I am anticipating and am working up the courage to deal with. Please bear with me as I try to overcome my shortcomings.

Sharing
I realized shortly after getting married that nothing is really “mine” anymore. This will become even more apparent after Lulu is born.  I think I am ok with that. Thankfully, Shelli has given me years of practice sharing things that are precious to me, like my computer, Diet Dew, and my dinner plate. The one thing I think I am going to have trouble sharing though is Lulu herself.  

Lulu will be lucky in many ways. Some she will have to grow to appreciate, but the first and most apparent luck will be the amount of family that loves her, comes to visit her and will want to hold her. On Shelli’s side of the family, Lulu will not only be the first grandchild, but also the first great-grandchild. She will also have two pretty great guys as uncles. And I would be remiss to talk about family if I didn’t mention that Lulu’s family will be expanding greatly just two weeks after she arrives due to a wedding! She will have an “official” Aunt Lisa and the two cutest cousins and future babysitters in Madeline and Lauren.

On my side of the family, she will instantly have four cousins and future best friends in Grant and Gabby, who are just months older. I can’t wait to get to watch them all grow up together. She will also be unable to escape the loving, spoiling barrage of the whole Schneider clan. This was in full display last weekend when “the Aunts” hosted a baby shower for Shelli (and Lulu). With pink decorative details in full force, Donna, Marcie and Mary Joe once again outdid themselves. It was clear from all the pink and monkey themed goodies Shelli brought home that our Lulu is already loved.

This brings me back to sharing. Even though I may not always be the most willing papa to give up his daughter to others, it is pretty clear that she will be in good hands regardless of who is holding her.

Monkeys
I now feel the need to explain why our daughter has been inundated with monkey gifts. This is all my fault. I have a somewhat unhealthy propensity towards monkeys. Seriously though, who doesn’t love monkeys? What is not to love?  Those dog and cat owners out there, haven’t you always wondered what it would be like if your pets were just a little bit more human-like?  Tada!  Monkeys! 

Don’t get it yet?  Google image search monkeys… go ahead I’ll wait… Ok, now didn’t your day get a little bit better? 

No comments:

Post a Comment